FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round (Replay) Tue 13 August Culver Road
  • Own Goal (20', 25', 98', 120')
4 (2)
Egham Town
4 (4)
4-4 (2-4 pens)

Jack Gunn (GK), Josh Clayman, Dave Sharman, James Beresford, Mike Williamson, Tom Caplin, Kane Louis, Conrad Honore, Lewis Finney (c), Liam Hendy, Mitch Hewens.


Mo Juwara, Omar Bukleb, Adam Bukleb, Jack Baden, George Mitchell-Phillips, Alex Bygraves, Josh Swietlik,

Manager Naim made two changes for this FA Cup replay, bringing in Liam Hendy for Omar Bukleb and Mitch Hewens for Mo Juwara. Lancing began with their patient, close inter-passing game, dominating possession, but it was Egham who came close to opening the scoring with a curling left foot shot from a free-kick heading for the top corner, which Jack Gunn did well to push away for a corner.

It was Lancing’s turn to test keeper Sam Freeman, when Kane Louis’ clever pass inside the full back put Lewis Finney clear on the left. Lewis Finney cut inside and his shot aiming for the far corner brought a good save from the keeper. Lancing worked the ball into the box from a short corner but the final shot from Mike Williamson flew over the cross bar. Tom Caplin and James Beresford were at the heart of several promising moves for Lancing, linking well with Kane Louis, Lewis Finney and Conrad Honore. It was Conrad who created the opening for Lewis Finney as his perfectly placed through ball found Lewis clear to pick his spot in the bottom corner to put Lancing one up on 20 minutes.

Lancing were soon two up when Mitch Hewens’ strong run to the bye line ended with him being brought down with a clumsy challenge. Lewis Finney made no mistake from the penalty spot to give Lancing a 2-0 lead. A long punt upfield put Jack Gunn under pressure. In attempting to head the ball clear, he could only help it backwards towards his goal.  ack reacted quickly to recover the ball on his goal-line. Conrad Honore, dropping deep to win possession, had his pass intercepted which gave Egham the chance to break and fire in a shot which Jack Gunn did well to dive and push away but the ball fell kindly to Omar Hassan who fired into the empty net to reduce the arrears on 35 minutes.

As in the first match, Egham responded by increasing their work rate and Lancing had their backs to the wall and twice Jack Gunn was called into action. Shortly before half-time, Tom Caplin was dispossessed after what looked like a foul tackle but nothing was given. Egham launched a swift counter attack and Anthony Thomas picked his spot curling his shot beyond Jack Gunn to level the score at 2-2. Lancing survived another threat to their goal when Josh Clayman cleared a cross from the goal-line.

Lancing came out for the second half showing determination to regain the control they had enjoyed for most of the first half. Within minutes, Josh Clayman found Lewis Finney in the box and his quick shot on the turn was well saved. An early substitution saw Mo Juwara replacing Mitch Hewens and he was quickly into his stride with some clever skills on the ball. Egham continued to build on the confidence which they had shown since drawing level and Jack Gunn, Mike Williamson and Liam Hendy were all called upon to defend well.

Egham then gave themselves a mountain to climb with the dismissal of Keyode Conteh for a second yellow, following a rash tackle. Mo tested the keeper who made another good save and a quick shot on the turn by Lewis Finney which looked to have restored Lancing’s lead was disallowed for a dubious hand-ball offence. Kane Louis was having a big say in many of Lancing’s promising attacks.  Always finding space and willing to receive the ball. James Beresford was a constant menace beating his marker and cutting inside to get forward at pace. Egham were finding it difficult to contain him and one strong run from James ended with him being brought down for which a yellow card was awarded.  Egham continued to hit long balls to put Lancing under pressure and the pace and power of Anthony Thomas was causing problems.

One strong run by him resulted in Josh Clayman being given a yellow card. It was Anthony Thomas who came close to giving Egham the lead with another strong burst through the Lancing defence but with Jack Gunn advancing off his line, Thomas’ lob landed on the top netting. Lancing finished the second half strongly with a stunning strike from James Beresford being saved, a shot from Mo Juwara being smothered at the foot of the upright, and Kane Louis forcing another good save from Sam Freeman.

Extra time began with Mo Juwara setting up James Beresford, whose shot was pushed wide for a corner. Tom Caplin then weaved his way into the penalty area but Freeman was again able to deal with the attempt on his goal. Tom was again involved in the action, finding Kane Louis, who showed great close control to pick out George Mitchell-Phillips, (a late second half substitution for Conrad Honore), at the far post. George kept his cool to restore Lancing’s lead 7 minutes into extra time.

George then brought another save from Freeman, the ball being met as it came out by Josh Clayman, who hammered the ball goal-wards, only to see it strike the upright. Lancing were unable to hold onto their lead as another strong run by Anthony Thomas was allowed to go unchallenged, and as he entered the box, his lofted shot seemed to catch a slight deflection to send the ball over Jack Gunn into the net to level the score at 3-3. Excitement levels were at their peak as James Beresford continued to show great energy and commitment getting forward. A Kane Louis shot was deflected wide for a corner. Alex Bygraves, making his first appearance of the season, his suspension having been served, replaced Dave Sharman.

Lancing then conceded a goal against the run of play, leading to a break away by the dangerous Anthony Thomas, who despite the close attention of two defenders, was able to bend the ball beyond the reach of Jack Gunn to give Egham the lead. Lancing came back strongly and good work by Lewis Finney enabled him to find Kane Louis, whose first time shot appeared to be scrambled away on the goal-line by a defender’s arm. Fortunately for Lancing, the assistant referee was perfectly placed to see that the ball had been pulled back after crossing the line, and he flagged for a goal which the referee accepted.

So, with the scores at 4 apiece, extra time came to a dramatic end, leading to penalties to decide the outcome. Disappointingly for Lancing, the penalties taken by Lewis Finney and Liam Hendy were saved by Sam Freeman, who converted one himself. Although Tom Caplin and Kane Louis were on target, Egham claimed their victory by 4 penalties to 2.

Those in attendance were given good value for their admission fee. Two contrasting styles of play. Lancing showing good skills on the ball, quick movement and excellent interpassing. Plenty of threatening movement into and around the Egham penalty area. Egham looking to put the Lancing defence under pressure with long balls hit from deep to bring their powerful front runners into play.

In the end it took penalties to separate the sides. Lancing had given their all and it was clear from the dejected look on the players faces, as they left the pitch, that they felt this was a game they should have won. Egham deserve credit for twice overcoming the handicap of being reduced to ten men.

Committee MOM: three or four good claims, but James Beresford deservedly selected.

Our thanks to Lancing FC committee member, Dave Wilmott, for his match report.