Sussex Senior Cup Round 3 Tue 3 December Broadfield Stadium
  • Galach (35', 49')
  • Velzen (66')
  • Okoye (72', 89')
  • Boadu (78')
  • Bloomfield (86')

Lancing Starting XI

Matt Evans, Conrad Honoure, Josh Coupar, Omar Bukleb, Mo Juwara, Mike Williamson, Tom Caplin (Capt.), James Rhodes, Kane Louis, Alex Fair, Kyle Woolven

Substitutes:       Mitch Hewens, Matt Berridge, Dave Sharman, George Mitchell-Phillips

Coming after 120 minutes in the Build Base F A vase 3rd. round against Sutton Common Rovers and the toll it took on Lancing players, it was always going to be a tough ask to take on the professionals of Crawley Town boasting players with League 2 experience. But Lancing, wearing the white Naaz shirts, did not look over awed by the challenge they faced. Crawley were fast and powerful and Lancing were at full stretch to keep them at bay. But they defended well with Omar Bukleb and Josh Coupar looking composed .Conrad Honoure was up against a really dangerous winger but stuck to his task superbly.

Matt Evans was kept very busy and he was in outstanding form bringing off a number of good saves. The first opportunity for Lancing to test the Crawley keeper fell to Alex Fair with a free kick just outside the opposition penalty area. Al ‘s kick was well struck and on target but into the arms of the keeper. On 33 minutes Lancing paid the penalty for giving the ball in their own half. Crawley broke at pace with Brian Galach able to fire low past Matt Evans. Lancing looked to have a chance to launch an attack to get back in the game with a great long pass from Matt Evans which almost put Mo clear but the Crawley keeper was quickly off his line to clear the danger. Lancing were working hard to contain the opposition and succeeded in reaching half time without conceding again.

The second half saw the introduction of Mitch Hewens for Al Fair. But with only 4 minutes gone, Lancing’s hopes of getting back into the game suffered a blow as Galach seized on loss of possession to break forward and get his second. Matt Evans continued to distinguish himself with more excellent saves but could not be faulted as Crawley capitalised on some tired Lancing legs to present forward at every opportunity. Matt Berridge came on for Tom Caplin and Dave Sharman for James Rhodes, allowing Conrad Honoure to push forward in midfield. Mitch Hewens finished off a good move with a fierce drive into the top corner but the offside flag had already been raised. Mitch was then presented with a chance to get a legitimate goal when the Crawley keeper midnight a clearance straight to him in the penalty area but McNerney was on hand to block his shot on the goal line. Crawley finished the half in devastating style adding to their goal tally, despite more excellent work between the sticks by Matt Evans, to run out 7-0 winners.

Lancing can hold their heads up after a spirited performance but in the end the superior team had too much to offer. They now turn their attention to the FA Build Base replay away to Sutton Common Rovers. It was good to see Kane Louis back and completing 90 minutes.

MOM Conrad Honoure. Given a testing time but responded really well.

Dave Wilmott

A reminder that the view of any officials in their match report for a fixture may not represent the views of Lancing Football Club or the website editor. Please contact the writer of a report directly if you have any issues to raise, as these are not written by the website editor & may contain errors from time to time.