Friendly Sat 15 August Mill Road

After hosting Mile Oak at a deserted Culver Road on Tuesday 11 August, when goals from James Waters and Ben Connolly, gave them a 2-0-win, Lancing were away to Arundel on Saturday 17 August. Again, no spectators allowed, so the brief report below has been compiled with the assistance of Kane Louis.

Report: Arundel 1 – 3 Lancing

Lancing Starting XI

Mitch Bromage ,Adam Hunt, Josh Coupar, Mo Juwara, Dave Sharman, Liam Hendy, Mitch Hewens, Darius Goldsmith, Ben Connolly, Ebou Jallow, James Waters

Matt Daniel, Josh Gould, Ben Whitmore, Joe Kennard, Harrison Parker

Arundel, despite having been relegated to Div. 1 of the SCFL, the previous season,  are a well-established club lying in mid-table when the season was brought to a premature end, but with a number of games in hand. The pitch was good as always this time of the year, and it was a good test for Lancing to play away against a team who had  a good season last season in their respective league.

The game started with  Arundel working hard from the outset, but Lancing managed to get control of the game keeping the ball well, with patience and eventually they managed to break the dead lock after 40min with some good play down the right hand side,  with Mitch Hewens scoring with a good finish. Arundel created some decent chances but they found Mitch Bromage in fine form, pulling off some great saves. Mitch showed good leadership, directing play from the back, with excellent distribution. He was instrumental in helping Lancing to keep their noses in front.

After the half time break, Lancing made a number of changes, Adam Hunt, Dave Sharman, Darius Goldsmith and James Waters were replaced by Ben Whitmore, Harrison Parker, and Matt Daniel.

Arundel managed to break through after around 55 minutes. There was a suspicion of a foul on Liam Hendy but the referee played on and Arundel were back on level terms.

Lancing made their final substitution with Joe Kennard coming on for Josh Coupar on 60 minutes.

The second half introduction of fresh legs enabled Lancing to regain control and, with some clever play, were able to get in behind the Arundel defence. A chance fell for Ben Connolly, on 70 mins, which he took well keeping up his pre-season form of scoring in every game.  Lancing continued to enjoy good possession through the second half, thus enabling further chances to open up. They got their just reward on 85 mins, after a good spell of play on the left followed by the ball  eventually being switched through midfield to set up Matt  Daniel for a nice calm finish.

Manager Kane Louis felt that, overall there were lots of progressive points and he was relieved that there were no real injury concerns. He now looks forward (with no disrespect to the opposition so far, who have all been from lower leagues) to a much sterner test on Tuesday, when they play host to a good Chichester City team currently in the Isthmian League.

Report by: Dave Wilmott

A reminder that the view of any officials in their match report for a fixture may not represent the views of Lancing Football Club or the website editor. Please contact the writer of a report directly if you have any issues to raise, as these are not written by the website editor & may contain errors from time to time.