Friendly Tue 18 August Culver Road
Chichester City

Lancing Starting XI


Mitch Bromage, Darius Goldsmith, Harrison Parker, Liam Hendy, Dave Sharman, Josh Gould, Conrad Honore, Ebou Jallow, Mo Juwara, Matt Daniel, George Mitchell-Phillips.


Finn Daniels-Yeoman, Mitch Hewens, James Waters, Will Berry, Michael McEnery.


It became clear within minutes of the kick off that Lancing were to be severely tested by a fast and aggressive Chichester City. They soon found themselves under pressure with City attacking at pace down both flanks. But to their credit, the Lancing defence coped well and played their way out from the back with confidence. Mitch Bromage in goal was always willing and available to receive the ball and switch the direction of play. Lancing’s first serious attack came on 12 minutes with a well struck shot from Ebou Jallow which flew too high. There was some good play in midfield with Conrad Honore collecting the ball from the back four and linking well with the attack.  Matt Daniel was a useful target dropping off the front line and helping to set the attack in motion.  George Mitchell-Phillips was an eager runner but found himself caught marginally offside as he was looking to get in behind.


City’s first serious effort came on 18 minutes. Lancing lost possession around the centre circle. City switched the ball to their left wing and an early cross was met with a volley on the turn. It looked to be on target but flew narrowly over the bar. City kept up the pressure and a strong run by their pacey number 7 saw him reach the right bye-line and lay on a perfect pass which was met with a first-time drive which cannoned off the underside of the crossbar before being cleared to safety.

Lancing turned the tables with a quick counter-attack. Matt Daniel created the opening for George Mitchell-Phillips to head goalward.  His only option was to shoot for goal. The angle was tight but he forced a good save with a powerful shot towards the near post.

Lancing were growing in confidence, as the first half progressed, with Matt Daniel and Conrad Honore prominent. Dave Sharman did well to win the ball on the left and a quick interchange of passes with Matt Daniel, got him in behind to cross the ball into the danger area. The ball eventually fell to George Mitchell-Phillips but his shot rolled just wide of the far upright.

George was again in the action minutes later intercepting a poor back pass but the City keeper was quick to close him down and George could not find a way past him.


Lancing were guilty on a couple of occasions of giving the ball away needlessly and, after one such instance, conceded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. A rocket of a free kick only succeeded in striking a City player and rebounding to safety.

Play was now end to end.  A strong run from Ebou Jallow took him to the bye-line but his cross was headed clear.  Lancing were able to retain possession and Josh Gould fired in a powerful effort but the ball just cleared the cross bar.  Mo Juwara, who had made a number of strong forward runs, managed to get to the bye line but his cross was cut out for a corner.  Ebou got his head to the ball, as it was played in , but could not get above it to direct it towards goal.

Lancing came close again on the stroke of half time.  Conrad Honore followed some superb defensive play by breaking out from the back quickly and after an exchange of passes, he continued his forward run giving him a scoring opportunity but he placed his shot wide.

Half time saw the introduction of Finn Daniels-Yeoman, Mitch Hewens, James Waters, Will Berry and Michael McEnery. Mo went off but was soon recalled as left back after Harrison Parker sustained an injury.

Lancing’s second half performance illustrated the benefits of fresh legs. There was a lot to admire, as all the substitutes showed great energy and commitment as the game became more physical. The pace of Mo, Mitch and James took the game to City and Will Berry and Finn were working exceptionally hard to stifle City and disrupt their rhythm.

James Waters came close to scoring after a powerful break put him in shooting range.  Finn did well to win the ball but was brought down as he advanced goalward.  James Waters curled a left foot free-kick around the wall but the City keeper got down smartly to his right to keep the scores level on 70 minutes.


Lancing were now in full flow. Great interplay between the dynamic Mitch Hewens and Darius Goldsmith gave Darius an opening but his shot was well saved at the near post. City still showed that they were a threat on the counter attack but some fine tackles by Will Berry and Finn came to Lancing’s rescue.

With 15 minutes to go, Mitch Hewens turned superbly under close pressure and managed to stay on his feet and break forward before laying on a perfect through ball for Michael McEnery to run on to and hit a powerful drive to the keeper’s left and give his side a 1-0 lead.

Lancing finished the game strongly. Mitch and Mo were rampant and Mitch recovered, after what looked like a horrendous illegal challenge chich floored him, but which was not spotted by the officials.

Lancing came close to adding a second when Ebou Jallow put Michael McEnery in towards goal but his shot flew too high.

So, Lancing maintained their excellent pre-season form. Chichester City were a notable scalp, albeit it was a friendly. Nevertheless, James Rhodes, Kane Louis and Matt Evans must be delighted with what they have seen so far. New players have blended in well and established players from last season seem invigorated by the long period of inactivity, and are showing that they still have plenty to offer. Some key players were absent from Tuesday’s game which speaks volumes for the depth of the squad.

Report by: Dave Wilmott

A reminder that the view of any officials in their match report for a fixture may not represent the views of Lancing Football Club or the website editor. Please contact the writer of a report directly if you have any issues to raise, as these are not written by the website editor & may contain errors from time to time.