FA Vase Third Round Proper Sat 19 December Culver Road
  • Own Goal (32', 55')
2 (5)
North Greenford Utd
  • Molyneaux (24')
  • Leonard (89')
2 (3)
2-2 (5-3 pens)










Lancing F C seem to take a perverse delight in putting their long-suffering supporters on the rack by conceding crucial goals very late, just when the supporters were getting ready to celebrate. But this time, the supporters were able to savour victory, albeit after a nail-biting penalty shootout.


Lancing survived a couple of early scares as their visitors started on the front foot. Mitch Bromage was forced to make an early save with an outstretched leg and Joe Kennard needed to be alert to win possession in the box when danger threatened. Greenford were quick on the break and Mo Juwara showed that he can defend as well as attack as to halt a real threat from the right wing. Lancing weathered the early storm and after 15 minutes or so began to create opportunities themselves.  Ben Connolly was quickly on to a through ball but it ran away from him before he could get a strike on goal. Josh Gould was first to get a shot on target after 17 minutes but keeper Sam House was equal to it.

Mo Juwara was a constant menace with his attacking runs from the left and one such run saw him pull the ball back from the bye line only for a defender to prevent the ball reaching a Lancing player.

But, at the other end, Mitch Bromage was kept busy. After getting the slightest of finger tips to a powerful shoot, the ball rebounded to a Greenford forward with an inviting empty net needing only a good connection to give Greenford the lead. But Mitch was able to get to the ball from a prone position and prevent a certain goal.

Lancing’s good fortune was short lived as Greenford punished a misplaced pass from the back to get forward on the left and hit a shot across the face of the goal into the far corner to give them a lead on 25 minutes. Their lead was threatened three minutes later.  Ebou Jallow chested down a cross from Harrison Parker but received a push in the back as he created space for a shot. A penalty was awarded and Ebou, who had been successful from the spot already this season, took responsibility. But his shot lacked power and was easily saved by House.

Ebou quickly made amends minutes later, executing a perfect pass over the top of the Greenford defence for Ben Connolly to run on to and hit a left foot shot into the far corner off the upright. Lancing were now in the ascendency. Some fine close interplay between Ben and Lew led to Matt Daniel being inches away from being on the end of through ball. Lancing finished the half strongly with good efforts from Lew Finney curling a free kick around the defensive wall into the side netting via a defender. Mo tried his luck from outside the box but cleared the cross bar and Josh Gould, who had been extremely effective operating on wide right and cutting in on his powerful left foot, brought a diving save from keeper House. Josh also found himself in the referee’s note book for a foul after chasing back to halt a dangerous break.


Within ten minutes of the second half, Lancing took the lead. Matt Daniel was put in the clear and after cleverly bring the ball under control kept his cool to find the back of the net.

Greenford’s giant of a centre forward Milford Simpson came close with a header over the bar and George Brown finished off a good run which brought a good save from Mitch Bromage.

Simpson was replaced by Toluwaloju James and Will Berry came on for an injured Lew Finney with 30 minutes to go. Mo Juwara was unstoppable running at the visitor’s right flank. Twice he got into great positions. Firstly, slightly over hitting a pass to Matt Daniel, but following this with an accurate ball to tee up Ben Connolly, who spun and shot in one movement. Expectation is always high when Ben has his sights on goal but this time Ben got underneath his shot which flew over.


With a little over 20 minutes to go,  manager James Rhodes replaced Josh Gould. Chances were being created at both ends. Dave Sharman cleared a header from under the cross bar. Lancing came close to a third when James Rhodes finished off some clever football by striking the ball just wide of the upright.

Greenford were throwing everything at Lancing to get an equaliser. Liam Hendy managed to get in a good block to prevent a goal bound shot. Pressure eventually told when substitute Ryan King, head and shoulders above everyone else rose to head home from a corner into the top of the net beyond a desperate attempt by Mitch to keep it out. There was barely a minute of normal time left.

Added time was running out and tension was mounting as Greenford strove for a winner. Substitute James got himself embroiled in an altercation with Harrison Parker. Both players confronted each other but James put his head forward in an aggressive manner into Harrison’s head. James was promptly dismissed with a red card, with Harrison being punished for his part with a yellow.

The final whistle blew and the teams prepared for a penalty decider. Lancing went first and James Rhodes settled the nerves somewhat with a well-placed left footer. Two more conversions from Matt Daniel and Will Berry and one from Greenford followed. George Brown took Greenford’s third but Mitch flew to his left to keep it out. Ebou improved on his earlier effort to keep up Lancing’s successful strike rate. Greenford converted their fourth spot kick and so it fell to Mo to keep his head and put Lancing through to the fourth round. He did just that with a fine finish and whirled away ecstatically to be mobbed by his teammates and a few over excited supporters.


A nervy ending to a well contested cup tie. Lancing just about deserved this win but it was a narrow one and could have gone the other way. The Lancing players showed great character by not dropping their heads when the late equaliser went in. All the penalties were well executed.

A few strong candidates for MOM. Mitch for some important saves in the first half and for the penalty save, but management award went to Mo Juwara. Mo has been a consistent power house for Lancing with his attacking runs from deep on the left flank. Control at pace is what Mo gives, frequently reaching the bye line.  In this game he also had to show his defensive qualities.

Ron Bryan, one of our regular supporters selected Dave Sharman as his MOM. Dave has been a calming influence at the back. Uses his experience well to read the game and to position himself to nullify threats on goal. Brings the ball out from the back confidently with accurate passing.

Report by: Dave Wilmott

A reminder that the view of any officials in their match report for a fixture may not represent the views of Lancing Football Club or the website editor. Please contact the writer of a report directly if you have any issues to raise, as these are not written by the website editor & may contain errors from time to time.