The Pitching In Isthmian Football League Sat 5 February The Bourne Stadium
  • Collins (24')
  • Palmer (82')
  • Own Goal (57', 71', 90')

Lancing Starting XI:


Gregor Shaw, Harrison Parker, Liam Hendy, Will Berry, Mo Juwara, Finn Daniels-Yeoman, Darius Goldsmith, Anesu Sisimayi, Matt Daniel, Gabriel Robinson, Isaiah Corrie.


Substitutes: Andrew Dalhouse, Thai Davis-Day, Mohamed Joumaa Zabadne, Danny Kingston, Matt Evans.



Lancing were forced to make some changes from the side who were successful against Three Bridges. No Lorenzo Lewis after his red card, nor James Rhodes and Joe Rye who have injuries. Destiny Ojo was playing for Sussex in a representative game. A starting debut for new signing, forward Isaiah Corrie and a place on the bench for another newcomer Danny Kingston. Andrew Dalhouse was available and was also on the bench. Kane Louis was absent abroad for family reasons.


Gregor Shaw continued in goal but Alieu Secka, continuing his recovery, was present to support his team mates.



It seems a long time ago since Lancing went 5 games without a win or a point and their resilience and strength of character, driven on by inspirational captain, Finn Daniels-Yeoman, who epitomises the never say die attitude which permeates the team, is providing a belief that they can survive their first season in a higher league.


For the second week running, Lancing had the prospect of securing their first double of the season, having beaten Sevenoaks 2-1 at Culver Road, way back at the beginning of October, having come back from being 1 down.


We soon discovered why Isaiah Corrie was in the starting line-up as he showed both strength and speed on Lancing’s right wing. Lancing were trying to exploit pace on both flanks, with Gabriel Robinson on the left, with some penetrating passes inside the opposing full backs, but the fast 3G surface was, strangely, proving difficult for Lancing to judge the pace of the ball and some promising moves were breaking down as the ball ran too far forward. The more creative football was coming from Lancing with Sevenoaks tending to look for long aerial passes over the top. They were meat and drink to Liam Hendy and Will Berry, in particular.


Matt Daniel was looking lively and managed to get on the end of well-judged pass to cut in from the by-line only to be brought down as he neared the goal. Referee Chris Williams had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, with very little protest from the home defence. Leading scorer Matt Daniel took the responsibility but his low kick lacked power and keeper Tyler McCarthy was able to dive low and make a save. The ball came back from him but Matt was unable to reach the rebound.


Numerous free kicks were awarded to Lancing as Sevenoaks were struggling to cope with the quick movement and ball retention from Lancing as they broke forward, driven on by the midfield of Finn Daniels -Yeoman, Anesu Sisimayi and Darius Goldsmith. Matt Daniel managed to get his head to a free kick but the header was deflected wide for a corner. Shortly afterwards he found space on Lancing’s left before laying the ball in to Finn Daniels-Yeoman whose shot from the edge of the box was on target but lacking the power to trouble McCarthy.


Somewhat against the run of play, Louis Collins put Sevenoaks one up as he exploited some free space just outside the six-yard box and plant a free header, using the power from a fiercely driven cross from wide on Sevenoaks left, beyond the reach of Gregor Shaw, who could only watch as it flew into the net. This was the home sides’ first attack of any real quality.


Lancing strove to make an impact and Gabe Robinson was put clear by a clever pass from Anesu Sisimayi, inside the right back. Gabe cut in towards the goal but his attempt landed in the side netting. On 37 minutes, there was the worrying sight of Finn Daniels-Yeoman needing lengthy treatment resulting in him having to limp off. To everyone’s relief he was able to return and, after struggling for a while, was able to shrug off the injury.


Buoyed by the success of their attack down their left, which led to the goal, Sevenoaks were causing more of a threat down this flank and Lancing were living dangerously for a while.


But they continued to have belief in their forward play, as Isaiah Corrie made a strong run across from the right and tried to put Gabriel Robinson in behind but the promising move broke down as Gabriel’s control deserted him and the ball ran out of play.


Lancing then had a lucky escape on the stroke of half time, as Sevenoaks failed to take advantage of a rare misplaced pass from Gregor Shaw.


Lancing began the second half by almost cancelling out the home sides’ lead after 4 minutes when Will Berry was able to get on the end of a long throw in from Harrison Parker and head the ball backwards from the near post but it rolled towards the far post and bounced away before being cleared. Lancing won a couple of free kicks. The first came to nothing but on 57 minutes, a superbly flighted free kick from Darius Goldsmith was met by Harrison Parker who headed the ball across the face of the goal to Matt Daniel who was able to nod it into the goal to bring the sides level.


Sevenoaks hit back with another attacking run and cross from their right, which was dummied allowing the ball to reach Bobby Dunn, who had been the greatest threat to Lancing with some forceful attacking runs down the left. His well struck effort on goal came close to restoring his side’s lead but the cross bar came to Lancing’s rescue.


With just under 20 minutes to go Lancing finally got the reward for some determined attacking play. Isaiah Corrie made a surging run forward, knocking the ball beyond his marker and using his upper body strength to muscle his way towards the by-line.  The attempt to stop him saw him being brought down, with referee Chris Williams again instantly awarding a penalty. The only yellow card of the game was shown to centre back Stephen Ikpeme.


Mo Juwara stepped up to the spot this time and made no mistake, burying his firm kick into the net to put Lancing ahead.


Sevenoaks made two quick substitutions on 71 and 73 minutes with Jed Smith replacing Jordan Johnson and Fjord Rogers coming on for Kweku .


Lancing made their first substitution on 75 minutes with Andrew Dalhouse coming on for Gabe Robinson.


Sevenoaks got themselves back on level terms on 82 minutes. A corner from the right was aimed low towards the near post and it was played out from there to Ryan Palmer unmarked at the edge of the penalty area who unleashed an unstoppable drive which was in the back of the net in an instant.


Darius Goldsmith took on the home defence to try and force an equaliser, making good progress but got underneath his shot. It was Isaiah Corrie’s turn to take on the defence and he finished another powerful run by setting up Matt Daniel whose shot was blocked. Time was running out for Lancing but, once again their never say die attitude paid off, when Andrew Dalhouse showed good control before arrowing the ball from the edge of the box beyond McCarthy into the far corner. The clock showed 90 minutes but four minutes of addled time was indicated. Mo Zabadne came on to add some defensive steel to help Lancing see out the final minutes, Matt Daniel going off.


This win, which was thoroughly deserved, saw Lancing climb to 16th place ahead of Hythe Town on goal difference, level on points with Whitehawk and 3 points behind Faversham in 13th place.


A solid all round team performance with excellent performances wherever you looked. A fine debut from Isaiah Corrie and the usual rock like defending, particularly from Liam Hendy and Will Berry. 100% effort and commitment from the midfield trio.


Any number of candidates for MOM but we settled for Darius Goldsmith. A faultless display of energy and great distribution. His perfectly placed free kick was instrumental in getting Lancing back into the game.


Dave Wilmott