The Pitching In Isthmian Football League Tue 16 August Hanbury Park
Haywards Heath
  • Cadman (12')
  • Collins (16')
  • Own Goal (56', 69')

The opening exchanges were even but suddenly two soft goals from the home side saw Lancing go 2-0 down and very much on the back foot. CADMAN was afforded time and space to head home the opener on 11 minutes and three minutes later Heath doubled their lead when COLLINS poked home from close range. Up against a very physical, tough tackling and often intimidating tactics from the home side Lancing took time to adjust and settle but held firm until the break.


After the break Lancing came out with all guns blazing and produced a pulsating second half that saw frenetic action from both sides as play swung from end to end. Looking the likeliest to score Lancing did just that when LOUIS VENETI pulled a goal back on 56 minutes to give the visitors hope. The game probably turned on the hour mark when Heath were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Collins but Conor Manderson pulled off a great save to prevent Heath going 3-1 up and on 69 minutes Lancing were level with ASHLEY MUTONGERWA converting from close range much to the delight of the travelling supporters. Play switched from end to end and Conor in the Heath goal pulled off a series of fine saves whilst up at the other end home keeper Collings was doing his part with denying everything that Lancing threw at him. Not even the introduction of Melford Simpson could boost the home side who were reduced to 10 men with 6 minutes left on the clock. Despite both sides having chances the game finished 2-2 and was testimony to the tenacity and courage of this Lancing outfit and their never say die attitude during the second period.


MAN OF THE MATCH: A difficult choice with quite a few contenders but CONOR MANDERSON just edged it with his brilliant penalty save and some great goalkeeping during the final stages.


Report compiled by JOHN REA (With apologies to Dave Wilmott who was away on holiday!)