Pitching In Isthmian League

South East Division Saturday 25th October 2022 

Faversham 1 Lancing 3 

Lancing Starting XI : 

Alieu Secka, Jake LeGrange, Tom Butler, Marcus Allen, Mohamed Joumaa Zabadne, Finn Daniels-Yeoman (Capt.), Darius Goldsmith, Reece Hallard, Tyrone Madhani, Ashley Mutongerwa, Louis Veneti. 

Substitutes: Kane Louis, Ollie Starkey, Reuben Livesey-Austin, Billy Fuller, Fraser Middleton-Tozer. 


Some changes were made for Lancing for their away fixture against Faversham (The Lillywhite) at the Aquatherm Stadium. Louis Veneti back after missing three games, following his injury at Ramsgate. Darius Goldsmith back as well as Marcus Allen, which meant that Reuben Livesey-Austin had to stand down, after his very promising debut against East Grinstead. New signing Fraser Middleton -Tozer on the bench. 


A change in formation worked well for Lancing, plus the return of Louis Veneti who was the spark that ignited a much livelier attack. The home side opted for the long ball from the back which was meat and drink for Tom Butler and Marcus Allen. Mo Zabadne and Tyrone Madhani were providing the impetus along the flanks. Louis Veneti looked hungry for goals and there was plenty of direct play from Reece Hallard and Ashley Mutongerwa. Reece looked powerful breaking forward and was proving difficult to halt. Efforts on goal came from Ashley Mutongerwa and Reece Hallard. Louis Veneti looked to be in on goal but prompt action from home keeper, Leighton Fanshawe racing from his line, cleared a real threat. 


Lancing’s attacking momentum got its reward on 35 minutes. Finn Daniels-Yeoman came out on top of a midfield tussle, winning the ball and feeding Tyrone Madhani. Tyrone looked up and picked his spot driving the ball low into the far corner to give Lancing a deserved lead. Shortly afterwards, Reece Hallard powered his way forward and took aim for goal, earning a corner as the ball was deflected wide. 


But it only took 5 minutes from going in front for Lancing to increase their lead. Mo Zabadne delivered a superb pass, setting Ashley Mutongerwa in behind in the right corner, who delivered a low hard cross to the near post where it was met by Reece Hallard who hammered the ball home from a couple of yards. 


Referee Steve Goldup had given The Lillywhite’s Tom Carlton a clear warning after his second bad challenge and when he committed a third, he received a prompt caution as half time approached. 


Immediately after the restart, Darius Goldsmith did well to win a corner. The ball was not cleared far enough after it came in and Louis Veneti won possession and finished clinically to put Lancing three up on 47 minutes. This almost came to be four, minutes later, when Ashley Mutongerwa teed up Reece Hallard, whose half volley just missed the target. 


The Lillywhites were stung into action by this set back and became more of a threat. The long ball approach was abandoned for passes trying to split the Lancing defence. A good low ball had Marcus Allen on the turn as it ran towards the edge of the Lancing box. Alieu Secka read the danger and came racing from the line. There was a coming together of attacker and goalkeeper in what seemed to be a 50/50 challenge as Alieu Secka got his body in the way. Both players hit the deck but the Lancing keeper was deemed to be reckless and he was given a caution. Only a yellow but there were fears that the challenge could have led to dismissal. 


The home side were able to take full advantage of a free kick at the edge of the box. The ball was floated to the far side of the box, from where it was headed back across the face of the goal Danny Rumbol was stationed on the goal line for a simple tap in. A strong suspicion of offside was not shared by the officials, so the goal stood. 57 minutes gone, which was long enough for the Liilywhites to close the gap even further. 


Fraser Middleton-Tozer came on for Louis Veneti on 64 minutes. On 70 minutes, Finn Daniels-Yeomans ball winning quality in the middle of the park displeased the referee and led to Finn being cautioned on 70 minutes. The introduction of Timi Toluwanile for the home side on 63 minutes on the right flank for the home team helped to put Lancing under pressure for the final quarter. He ran at Tyrone Madhani and was getting past him and threatening to open up the Lancing defence. But well marshalled by Marcus Allen Lancing withstood the pressure. Late substitutions by Lancing to attempt to hold on to their lead saw Kane Louis coming on for Ashley Mutongerwa on 79 minutes and Reuben Livesey-Austin for Tyrone Madhani on 87 minutes. 


There was a late caution for Reece Hallard, for what was deemed to be an aggressive attitude and some nervousness for Lancing when 6 minutes of added time was announced but Lancing have proved themselves capable of withstanding pressure and they kept their composure to see the game out. 


In the end, it was a well-deserved three points. Faversham raised their game after going three goals down but they were unable to break down a solid Lancing defence or cause Alieu Secka too much difficulty. As usual his handling of high balls into the box was faultless. Had Lancing lost, that would have allowed Faversham to leapfrog them in the table by one point, but, as things stand, Lancing occupy 13th place, sharing 9 points with four other teams. 


MOM selection was opened up to some of our loyal travelling supporters and this resulted in three votes apiece for Finn Daniels-Yeoman and Marcus Allen with one going to Mo Zabadne. A joint choice of Marcus and Finn was the outcome. If the Vice-Chairman had been able to be present, he could have given the casting vote. 


Thanks to those committee and supporters who travelled by coach or car to give their backing. To join the players on the homeward bound coach, after collecting three points, completes a very good day out, so if you are contemplating experiencing this for yourself, please get in touch with Terry Cartwright . 


Finally, well done to management/coaches for having the courage to go with a more attacking formation.


Dave Wilmott