Isthmian League South East Division

Hythe Town 3 v Lancing 1 Saturday 19th November 2022 

Attendance :200 

Lancing Starting XI : 

Alieu Secka, Jake LeGrange, Owen Spicer, Tom Butler, Mohammed Joumaa Zabadne, Finn Daniels-Yeoman( captain), Reece Hallard, Darius Goldsmith, Tyrone Madhani, Ashley Mutongerwa, Fraser Middleton-Tozer. 

Substitutes: Faris Khallouqi, Tommy Boyle, Sean Stephenson, Josh Gould. 

It was down to earth with a bump for Lancing at the Reachfields Stadium after the highs of their Sussex Senior Cup victory during the preceding week against East Grinstead Town. Hythe Town lay two points behind them but at the end of 90 + minutes they had leapfrogged Lancing by one point. 


There was less than 2 minutes of play when Hythe benefited from a fortunate bounce off the uneven surface close to the goal line deceiving Alieu Secka completely. Hythe had advanced down Lancing’s left with full back Liam Smith making an overlapping run and hitting a shot goal-wards, more in hope than expectation but it gave the home team an early lead. 


Lancing made a determined effort to cancel out this lead. Darius Goldsmith provided a pass for Ashley Mutongerwa who managed to hit the target but keeper Steve Phillips was equal to it. Finn Daniels-Yeoman came out on top of a tussle for the ball in the centre circle finding Tyrone Madhani with a quick pass. Tyrone aimed for goal but his shot deflected for a corner. Ashley Mutongerwa mounted another breakaway finishing with a low drive which flew wide.


Lancing then had a let off when Liam Smith, who was a real threat on Town’s right, getting forward at will, delivered a fine cross but a misconnection from the recipient, as the ball dropped, spared Lancing. 


Jake LeGrange began a promising move passing the ball on to Fraser Middleton-Tozer, whose deft touch delivered the ball to Tyrone Madhani. This attacking trio broke forward but Tyrone’s cross was disappointing, going behind the goal. 


A further blow was delivered when the ball dropped between Tom Butler and Alieu Secka at the edge of the box. Hythe’s striker took advantage of the uncertainty between them to get to the ball and attempt to round the Lancing keeper.Alieu Secka made a desperate effort to retrieve the situation diving low to push the ball away. Whether he made contact, bringing the player down or whether he reached the ball and the opponent fell over him, was not really clear. One independent observer expressed the view to me, after the game, that it did not look like a penalty but the man who mattered, referee Kane Dempster, awarded a spot kick, and, rather harshly, a caution to Alieu Secka. 


So, two down after 24 minutes, Frannie Collin, making no mistake from the spot. On the general balance of play, Lancing could not really complain at the score line, despite the unfortunate manner in which goals had been conceded. The Town were hitting long balls from the back, bypassing the midfield, but Tom Butler, well supported by Owen Spicer and Jake LeGrange, managed to repel most of what came their way. Tom Butler made a number of vital tackles under pressure, retaining his composure, releasing the ball from the back and finding a team mate. 


Lancing immediately gave themselves a chance to reduce the lead as Darius Goldsmith launched a quick counterattack with Tyrone Madhani and Fraser Middleton -Tozer ahead of him with only one defender in position. Darius attempted to get the ball forward to Tyrone but his pass fell short and was intercepted by Town’s centre back. 


Town’s left winger came close to increasing their lead but drove a powerful shot into the side netting, followed by a second effort, a dipping lob which dropped on the roof of the net. 


Lancing finished the half with Tyrone Madhani and Reece Hallard combining to launch an attack, the ball breaking to Finn Daniels-Yeoman whose effort on goal was deflected for a corner.  Tyrone then linked up with Ashley Mutongerwa, whose ball into the box landed in the arms of keeper Phillips. 


It was a lack lustre first half from Lancing and management decided to try something different for the second half. Fraser Middleton -Tozer had toiled with some industry in the first half without really being able to get on the ball and have an impact, so in his place for the second half came Tommy Boyle. 


Mo Zabadne switched sides with Tyrone Madhani. 


There was another let off for Lancing in the first couple of minutes, when a free kick into the box was headed on to Liam Smith, coming in from the right but his header powered wide of the upright. 


There was a controversial incident involving Mo Zabadne, who had won a 50/50 ball with a strong tackle, leaving his opponent lying injured. It appeared to be robust but not illegal. Play continued for some minutes with the assistant flagging to catch the referee’s attention. Eventually the referee consulted his assistant but was content that no foul had been committed and play continued. 


With 70 minutes gone Town got a third goal which, effectively, killed off any real hope of Lancing getting something out of the game. Johan Caney-Bryan rose well to reach a good deep cross from the left wing to head home via the underside of the cross bar. 


Sean Stephenson was introduced for Mo Zabadne immediately afterwards. There is a never say die spirit in the Lancing team and, once again, they raised their game in the final stages. Ashley Mutongerwa continued to be Lancing’s main threat going forward and he ran at the home defence with Tyrone Madhani. It looked, initially that Ashley had been brought down in the box but, in fact, he was outside the penalty area and it was Tyrone Madhani who had been felled inside the area. Referee Kane Dempster had no hesitation in awarding a penalty, which Darius Goldsmith despatched to earn Lancing a consolation on 80 minutes. Faris Khallouqi’s fresh legs were then called upon, coming on for Reece Hallard , who had worked diligently throughout. Ashley Mutongerwa had another effort on goal, which was just too high and Lancing’s final attempt was a powerful drive from Darius Goldsmith, which was heading for the goal until it struck a Town defender on the header knocking him down and the ball to safety. 


Generally, a rather lack lustre performance from Lancing but also some misfortune in regard to the manner in which two early goals were conceded. A spirited finish but by then it was too late. 


For a change the travelling contingent were not spoilt for choice in their selection of their MOM. Ashley Mutongerwa had put in a good shift as Lancing’s main attacking threat but Tom Butler had, once again, showed great maturity and was solid in all aspects of his defensive duties. No goal from him this week, but he was selected as MOM. 


The League table shows how tight things are at this stage of the season. Lancing are in 17th place two points above Haywards Heath but Chichester are in 9th place with only three points more. The clubs between these two are mainly one or two points more. The Hill and Three Bridges share 15 points with Lancing. A run of two or three victories could put Lancing in a more comfortable position. 


Lancing can meet this challenge. 


Dave Wilmott