Isthmian League South East Division


Burgess Hill Town (The Hillians) 4 v Lancing 4 


Saturday 28 Jan.2023 Attendance :439 


Lancing Starting XI: 

Alieu Secka, Tyrone Madhani, Marcus Allen, Owen Spicer, Mahamadou Juwara, Kyle O’Brien, Finn Daniels-Yeoman (Capt.), Charlie Towning, Modou Jammeh, Reece Hallard, Marcel Powell.


Substitutes: Ollie Starkey, Kane Louis, Alfie Beck, Darius Goldsmith, Will Berry.


Injuries to Tom Butler, Ashley Mutongerwa, and Mo Zabadne, and with Jake LeGrange serving the last of a three-game suspension, stretched Lancing’s defensive options. This provided the opportunity for Marcus Allen to make a welcome return to the team. Ironically, his last game was against Burgess Hill on 12/11/2022, when he sustained a serious injury which has kept him side-lined until today. Also, back to start was Reece Hallard.


For the first 15 minutes or so, Lancing more than matched their opponents with Kyle O’Brien linking well to attack down Lancing’s left flank and Marcel Powell posing a threat down Lancing’s right. Marcel Powell intercepted a ball from the back and set up Reece Hallard whose shot was blocked for a corner. Modou Jammeh had a header on target. 


But there were early warning sides for Lancing when Martyn Box reached the bye line on Lancing’s right and forced Alieu Secka to make a save low at his near post. On 18 minutes, Dan Perry broke into the Lancing box and hit the ball towards the goal. Alieu Secka looked to have had it covered but allowed the ball to slip from his grasp, falling to Kieran Rowe who could not miss from a couple of yards. Lancing’s defence crumbled at this point and in the space of eleven minutes they found themselves trailing by 3-0. 

The Hillians made inroads down the right. Marcus Allen managed to stretch to flick the ball away but only as far as Lewis Taylor. He seemed to mishit a shot on goal as a result the ball reached Lewis Finney who had the easiest of tasks to get the ball over the line from close range on 22 minutes. To rub salt into Lancing’s wounds, a dubious free-kick was awarded to the Hillians from which the ball was floated to the far post. George Brown rose well to head back across goal into the opposite corner.


Both goalkeepers were having difficulty on the uneven surface, coping with balls being played back to them. Alieu Secka sliced some clearances and Will Huffer sent the ball skywards as it took a cruel bounce while attempting to clear it. The ball dropped to Modou Jammeh, on his own in the box, and he reacted with a header but was unable to generate any power. 


Dean Cox reacted to what seemed a mountain to climb for Lancing by making the bold decision to make three half time substitutions. On came Will Berry, Darius Goldsmith and Kane Louis for Tyrone Madhani, Charlie. Towning and Kyle O’Brien. 


Lancing responded positively and had the ball in the net after 8 minutes into the half, only for it to be disallowed for offside. Not to be disheartened by this, Lancing scored a legitimate goal a couple of minutes later. Finn Daniels -Yeoman floated a cross to the unmarked Modou Jammeh who had the confidence to hit a first-time volley into the net. But The Hillians soon restored their three-goal advantage. Alieu Secka made a good save from a Lewis Finney header, conceding a corner. Some hesitancy by Lancing defenders and goalkeeper in reacting as the ball came into the six-yard box left George Brown free to ram it into the goal. 

The writing appeared to be on the wall for Lancing at this point, but there was still a little over 30 minutes left to play and Lancing’s never say die attitude gave some hope that they might at least make the score line look more respectable.


Lancing certainly looked more in control and, with Will Berry defending Lancing’s right flank, Lancing were keeping The Hillians at bay. 

A breakthrough came on 62 minutes and, once again, it was a piece of clinical finishing from Modou Jammeh. Reece Hallard burst forward down Lancing’s left, looked up and delivered an inch perfect cross to Modou Jammeh who volleyed low into the far corner. Lancing’s tails were up. Kane Louis was providing a good focal point for Lancing, holding the ball up well and laying simple passes to supporting runners. The Hillians came close to re-establishing their three-goal lead but an acrobatic overhead kick by Mo Juwara prevented the ball from crossing the line. 


Louis initiated the move which led to Lancing’s third goal on 80 minutes. He slipped the ball to Modou Jammeh who switched it to Marcel Powell. He cut in from the right and curled a left foot drive just inside the far upright. A carbon copy of his last goal against Sevenoaks.


3-4 down with ten minutes of normal playing time, plus 8 minutes of added time. Too much to ask, surely for Lancing to get one, or even two more. Lancing were causing some panic in the home defence as Modou Jammeh was denied a hat trick with a goal bound effort blocked on the line. Reece Hallard had already tried his luck from distance with a low drive which fizzed past the upright. This proved to be a trial run for what was to come. Mo Juwara powered towards the box and his ball in was only half cleared, straight into the path of Reece Hallard. He launched his Exocet missile from his right boot sending the ball into the bottom of net from 25 yards. The joyous sounds from the Lancing supporters could be heard as far as Culver Road (wishful thinking !!), drowning out the home support. 

Lancing were still not finished and, in the dying seconds of added time, Marcus Allen looked to have crowned a superb come back appearance with a header from a corner which looked to be going into the net until cleared away.


The final whistle blew and there was no doubt which supporters were the happiest. 

So, a stirring comeback. The half time substitutions gave Lancing the lift to force their way back into the game. But it needed quality finishing and each goal was high class.


It was pleasing to see the Ultras present in good numbers and so happy for them to witness a fine second half performance. It was also pleasing to see a good number of our regular supporters in attendance, which helped to create a good atmosphere. Congratulations to all the squad and management. Let us hope that, in future, they will not need a half time kick up the backside to get them playing to the level we know they can reach.


Debate around Player of the Match centred around the incredible recovery shown by Marcus Allen after his long layoff. It would have been a fairy tale finish if his very late header had been the winner. I, personally, was once again impressed with the maturity and calmness shown by Owen Spicer, particularly in not rising to the bait dangled by verbals from Lewis Taylor. However, we felt that Modou Jammeh’s two goals were the impetus to get us in reach of securing something from the game. So well done Modou, our selection.


Final word is to acknowledge the achievement of our former star man Lewis Finney, who, once again, punished his old club with a goal, but not the winner on this occasion.


P.S .Spare a thought for Terry Cartwright. Although recovering from a bout of illness, not well enough to attend.


Dave Wilmott