Emirates F.A Cup

1st round Qualifying Replay

Carshalton Athletic (The Robins) 4 v Lancing 1

Attendance 261

Lancing Starting XI:

Alieu Secka, Tyrone Madhani, Sam Bull, Dan Hull, Kyle Sim, Alex Plummer, Andrew Briggs, Henry Watson, Harry Heath, Alex Laing, George Taggart.


Shay Matthews, Lukas Franzen-Jones, James Gibson, Jack Meeres, Will Berry.


Lancing bade farewell to hopes of advancing in the Emirates Cup at The War Memorial Ground, as Carshalton Athletic put 4 goals past them with a solitary Alex Plummer goal for Lancing their only consolation.

Four changes were made from the XI which started in Saturday’s 1-1 draw. Henry Watson and Harry Heath were back and there was a first competitive appearance for Alex Plummer. Sam Bull also made the starting line-up.

Lancing were prepared for another tough challenge and showed an early willingness to get forward. Henry Watson broke from the back and had Lancing’s first effort on goal but it was blocked by a defender. Harry Heath was full of running , getting in behind the Robins’ defence hitting a cross cut out for a corner and just being pipped by keeper Huffer to a ball through the middle. Heath then showed his willingness to defend, chasing all the way back to prevent a dangerous cross into the box posing a threat. Lancing’s work rate was commendable and there were some good midfield play , particularly from George Taggart who was able to brush off challenges and get the ball forward.

But Lancing suffered an early set back. The Robins 36 year old Jamaican winger, Mark Marshall, a very fit veteran with many years of Football League pedigree behind him , including spells at, amongst others, Swindon, Coventry, Charlton Athletic, Port Vale and Bradford City ,where he was Player of the Year, stung Lancing with a goal on 14 minutes. He picked the ball up and ran at the Lancing back line. Kyle Sim took a tumble as he tried to halt Marshall’s progress. He switched the ball to Danny Bassett on the left who drove the ball at Alieu Secka. He was able to keep the ball out but it rebounded from him to Marshall who reacted quickly to get the ball in the net.

Referee Craig Charles, who handled the game very well, had to take his first disciplinary action when Alex Laing was late into a tackle but he resisted the temptation to issue a caution, simply speaking to the Lancing skipper.

There was a touch of misfortune about the second goal conceded by Lancing on 27 minutes .A good passage of play by Lancing across the middle of the pitch, ended with the ball being swept wide to Tyrone Madhani on the right but it caught him on the back of the heel and rebounded to Danny Bassett, who broke quickly and beat Alieu Secka , low at his near post.

Harry Heath continued to get at the Robins defence coming away with the ball after a tussle with Lexus Beeden but could not get enough power on the ball to trouble keeper Huffer.

Lancing suffered a blow minutes from half-time when Henry Watson took a nasty fall ,appearing to cause injury to his knee. Callum Morin spent some time treating him but Henry was unable to continue. Charlie Gibson came on to replace him.

A second substitution was made at half -time with a striker, James Hull , coming on for defender Sam Hull. Lancing looked to try and reduce the deficit early in the second half with Alex Laing being put through by Charlie Gibson but being brought down by a foul.

Mark Marshall continued to be The Robins main attacking threat and was able to use his pace and dribbling skill to win a couple of corners in the first quarter, Dan Hull having to be particularly alert to slide in and intercept a cross from Marshall reaching a Robins forward in the six-yard box. Kyle Sim also acquitted himself well to snuff out another Marshall attack. Alieu was fairly quiet as the second half progressed but had to be quickly off his line to clear a through ball.

Lancing’s first real attempt on goal fell to George Taggart who timed his run superbly to get on the end of a fine pass over the top from Tyrone Madhani. As Huffer advanced from his goal Taggart lifted the ball over him but, instead of bouncing into the empty net, it dropped onto the top of the net.

Alieu Secka then brought off a wonder save. Aaron Lamont hit a screamer that was heading to Alieu’s left and into the top corner, Alieu leapt to his left and managed to get one hand to the ball and push it clear off the cross bar.

On 70 minutes Danny Bassett put the game out of Lancing’s reach , catching Alieu Secka out of position , driving the ball in low at the near post.

Lancing made their final substitution on 80 minutes bringing on Shay Matthews for Tyrone Madhani. Lancing continued to maintain a high work rate and had not thrown in the towel, despite having a mountain to climb.A fine passage of play with a patient build up ended with Alex Plummer being rewarded for a fine midfield performance, when his powerful drive from outside the box could not be held by Huffer, despite getting his body in the way

But The Robins had the final word on 90 minutes, with Alieu Secka guilty of a rare lapse of concentration as he allowed a long-range effort from Kwaku Frimpong to slip through his hands .

The Lancers put in a superb effort against a very good team. There was no lack of effort and they played some excellent football. If George’s near thing had gone in, the deficit would have been reduced to one goal with reasonable time left to play, and might have closed the gap.

All the substitutes gave a good account of themselves and I was particularly impressed with James Hull for showing strength in standing up to some robust challenges.

Some good candidates for Player of the Match. I was pleased with the performance of Alex Plummer, having been impressed with him in pre-season friendlies but with Laing, Briggs and Taggart in good form, it was difficult for him to break into the team. It was a toss up between Dan Hull and George Taggart, but a casting vote gave it to Dan. Composed and sound in the tackle, good positional play and accurate passing out.


Dave Wilmott